Some weeks ago Spotlight asked me to create a simple piranha softie kids can sew for Aaron Blabey’s book Piranhas Don’t Eat Bananas. I had never designed a fish soft toy, so I was quite excited at the prospects of adding a new softie creature to my collection.
I loved the personality of Brian the piranha and found it easy to design a simple to sew softie of his character. This softie really is easy to sew…it’s made from only two pieces of felt, at least the body is…and it makes a great activity for adults to sew together with or for their kids.
If you’re not sure where or how to start sewing with kids, then don’t worry this guide to sewing with kids will show you how to begin. Still have some questions? Then please pop over to the Sew a Softie facebook group and we’re all happy to help or send me an email.
Here’s my tutorial for a simple piranha softie kids can sew:
What you need
20cm x 30cm dark green felt
20cm x 30cm light green felt
White and black felt for eyes and teeth
Felt marker or wax pencil
Hot glue gun
What to do
1. Download piranha template. Copy and cut out.
2. Place the template on the dark green felt and trace around. Draw in the piranha’s mouth. Place the dark green felt on top of the light green felt. Pin together.
3. Sew along the line you have drawn for the piranha’s mouth and body. This is indicated in the template by a dashed line. Remember to leave an opening for stuffing.
4. Cut around the piranha ½ cm from the sewing line and around the tail and fin.
5. Stuff firmly. Pin and sew the opening closed.
6. Glue on an eye and teeth and cut fringes in the fin and tail. Finally, glue an eye to the reverse side to complete your piranha softie.
And remember…never feed him any bananas.
I love this little guy so much. Great little project too. I think I have everything I need.
Love it! Such a great expression.
Love Aaron Blabey’s piranha! Actually, I’m a HUGE fan of Blabey’s!!!
I have one question though: why the two different tones of green felt? I’m going to make a big piranha to use as a reading buddy! The kids are going to love it!!